Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Vixen's Mixens: Hipster for the Holidays

It is December, which means of course that the holiday season is upon us. Shopping, wrapping, baking, eating, drinking, giving, receiving - my brain already hurts. To tell you the truth, the Christmas spirit has not yet taken hold for me. I even made the crazy decision to NOT put up my tree! And believe me, I love my tree (and my sparkly IKEA snowflake ornaments.) I am hoping that listening to my new Hipster for the Holidays playlist will put me in more Christmasy minded spirits.

It is hard to deny the charm of the Decemberists singing Please Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas or Cindy Lauper & the Hives having a Christmas Duel. Like any decent card carrying hipster would require, this playlist is infused with copious amounts of Sufjan Stevens and She & Him throughout. Most hipsters also like "some" country, typically only the classic variety, which is why I included Loretta Lynn's To Heck With Ole Santa Claus and Brenda Lee's Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day.

For the ironic hipster (and Saving Silverman fans) I included some Neil Diamond from his Cherry Cherry Christmas album (ha!.) Just like with country music, true hipsters embrace certain levels of R&B (usually Motown and funk) which resulted in Jackson 5's Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, Marvin Gaye's I Want to Come Home for Christmas, Stevie Wonder rocking out on both What Christmas Means to Me and Ave Maria, and of course James Brown's Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year (Parts 1 & 2) making the list. For the hipsters with a sense of humor I included Adam Sandler's Chanukah Song (v. 1 & 2), Early 50s Recording of Cowboy Timmy singing the classic Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo, Cheech & Chong's Santa Claus and His Old Lady and Guster's Carol of the Meows.

I hope all of you hipsters and non-hipsters alike find this holiday mix enjoyable. If there are some tunes that you feel should be on this list, let me know! By the way, the handsome hipster in the photo is my husband in his winning Ugly Sweater. Hipsters just love their ugly sweater parties.

As for next week's playlist - one of the big reasons I am not yet in the mood for Christmas is because my best friend is moving away at the end of the month to another state to be with the love of his life. A total Happy/Sad occasion to say the least. In preparation for his move I have been working on a massive playlist that spans our friendship. I will post it next week for y'all:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment