Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Vixen's Mixens: Jonathan & Me

I believe in soul mates. In fact I think the idea that you only get one soul mate in life is crap. Whoever came up with that concept was probably a lonely old codger. I personally feel that I have encountered no less than three soul mates in my life (not counting family.) These amazing people have entered my life and left an indelible impression on my being (not to sound too new agey.)

One in particular is Jonathan - who without a doubt is my pop culture soul mate. That is us to the left, on my wedding day - I'm doing my best Tyra Top Model look and he is laughing at my horrible attempt. Never could I have imagined (way back in late 2003) that the fellow employee I was chatting with on the phone over at my sister Gamekeeper store in Waterbury would be someone who has the same unflinching passion for music, TV and movies - both the good and the oh so bad. The instant Jonathan and I met we could not stop talking music, swapping mixes and marathoning Twin Peaks. It was an entertainment match made in heaven.

Here is the best thing ever: my best friend met the love of his life and is moving in with him! Here is the worst thing ever: my best friend met the love of his life and is moving in with him in Orlando! Of course that reaction is completely selfish - but I cannot help it. I am going to be so sad when he leaves. It will be like losing a limb (well, at least what I think losing a limb would feel like - which is awful and painful and weird and like I am going to have phantom pains thinking he is right down the street, but then when I realize he is gone it is going to hurt all over again.) But then I think about how happy he is with his boyfriend Miker and how ridiculously well Miker treats him (which is exactly how he deserves to be treated) and I cannot be anything but ::tears in my eyes:: super crazy out-of-control blissfully happy for him. This was meant to be. I have no doubt in my mind.

As I am writing this, I am listening to the massive
playlist (21 hours and counting) I have put together that is simply Jonathan & Me. kd lang's cover of The Valley is playing and I am totes crying. Of course only Jonathan understands why - kd lang is one of our strange loves. I had him listen to her "Live By Request" album shortly after we first met and thus started our obsession with all things kd (pua kd kd.) Not only do we collectively own every album she ever released, we also have her Live By Request DVD and have seen her twice in concert - once in the front row - where she gave us guitar picks - and we lost our shit. You will note in our playlist that she is largely featured.

She is definitely not our only obsession. Along the country lines we also have a passion for that crazy drunk Lucinda Williams ("Everything is wrong!" "I see your sweet side.") As for pop, much to the chagrin of my husband, we love all that is Ashlee Simpson - pre-nose job AND post ("ay yai yai yai yai you're talking way too much.") Not to mention Britney, Her Name is Nicole Scherzy Scherz, ButtaFace Fergie, She's just being Miley, Shaki, Rih Rih and No More Drama Mary J. We also adore music that hipsters would approve of, such as Jenny Lewis, Ra Ra Riot, Neko Case, Cat Power (despite the snooze factor), Arcade Fire and Broken Social Scene.

This mix also has songs from artists we have seen in concert together, which is a long list in its own right: Patti Smith, Justin Timberlake, Oh Land, Sia (2xs), Ximena Sarinana, Lady Lamb the Beekeeper, Juliana Hatfield, Kelly Clarkson, Ra Ra Riot, Death Cab For Cutie, Darryl Hall, Jefferson Starship (hellz yeah Hamden concert series!), Tori Amos (2xs), kd lang (2xs), Paramore (2xs), Lykke Li, Regina Spektor, Walkmen, Black Keys, Florence & the Machine, Pixies, St. Vincent, Tegan & Sara, Ray LaMontagne and Brandi Carlisle. I am sure there are more but I am getting old and can no longer remember everything. In the age of Skype, Facebook and Twitter I know we will stay close, however not being able to go to concerts together is going to be rough!

I could talk about why each song is on the list but then this would be a War and Peace sized novel, not a blog post. There is one song, however, that deserves mention. The playlist begins with The The's This Is the Day because on the very first day Jonathan moved to New Haven to begin a new installment of his life, he put that song on and we danced together in his new living room. It was a moment of pure joy and hope. When Jonathan arrives at his new home in Orlando on New Years Eve to begin the next chapter of his life, he will play the song again - this time with the love of his life to dance with. It is how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment